ICT component: View this slideshow, click on the links and follow the instructions on the slide.
Work through the PowerPoint file 'Making a Volcano'
- watch the animation on how a volcano erupts
- Look at the Shake, Rattle and Roll site, take notes on what the animations look like
- Look at the animations on Weather Whizz kids and take notes
- Look at the different types of Volcanoes on Volcano Explorer, build your own virtual Volcano and see how it erupts
Follow the animation steps in the Animating objects PowerPoint and practice making an animation.
Volcano Explorer and look at all of the different volcanoes and identify the different ways the volcanoes erupt.
Ask the students can they identify what type of volcano they have, and if the order of eruption correct. If not then they can work on their volcanoes to make the necessary adjustments.
- Select one of the Volcanoes in Auckland, take a photo or find a photo, crop it, identify what type of volcano it is and create a volcanic eruption simulation
- create a volcanic simulation of your local volcano, upload to Slideboom, embed in a Glogster poster explaining the type of volcano it is
- Read 'Under the Mountain' by Maurice Gee (a fantasy fiction based some of the volcanoes in Auckland) Create a map showing the positions and type of volcano, create a simulation for the 3 different volcanoes